Axminster: Barn burnt down in fire started by children playing with matches

By Francesca Evans

25th Jul 2022 | Local News

The barn was completely destroyed in the blaze (photo credit: Colyton Fire Station)
The barn was completely destroyed in the blaze (photo credit: Colyton Fire Station)

A barn between Axminster and Chard was burnt down in an accidental fire started by children playing with matches.

Crews from Colyton, Chard, Charmouth and Lyme Regis attended the blaze over the weekend.

The barn could not be saved but crews damped down the surrounding areas to prevent the fire from spreading further. 

A spokesperson from Colyton Fire Station said: "This fire was accidentally caused by children playing with matches. Most children have a natural curiosity about fire which can show in little ones as young as two years old. However, sometimes, this interest in fire can escalate and develop into something more serious.

"Always keep lighters and matches out of reach of children and teach them about the effect that starting fires can have on themselves and others."

For more advice on young people and fire, visit www.dsfire.gov.uk/education/fire-starting-behaviour-young-children

Share:

Related Articles

Julie Corbin and friends from B! Health & Fitness in Lyme Regis celebrate completing her challenge (photo courtesy of Lynnette Ranvenscroft)
Local News

Former police officer completes 24-hour endurance challenge in aid of Axminster charity

South Western Railway services on the line through Axminster will not be running during the strike action
Local News

Rail services through Axminster to be halted amid strikes this weekend

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Axminster Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.