Posted: 04.07.20 at 14:29 by Philip Evans
Local cricket clubs will be relieved to learn that the recreational game is set to resume in England from next Saturday (July 11) after Prime Minister Boris Johnson gave the green light.
Johnson had previously said on Friday that it was not yet safe to play the game at grassroots level because of issues with "teas and dressing rooms".
However, in a later briefing, he said the government would publish guidelines to help clubs and players prepare for the sport's return.
Chief medical officer Chris Whitty said it was "very safe" to resume playing.
Whitty said it should be possible to make the game "safe at a distance", adding that players should not hug one another or apply saliva to a ball.
Nub News understands that the Devon Cricket Board will be making a statement within 72 hours about what format the 2020 season will take.
Alfie Wraight, chairman of Axminster Cricket Club, said: "It looks like the Devon League will wait until July 25 before they allow any play, they are still waiting for guidance from the ECB."
England's men will play West Indies in a three-Test series in a bio-secure environment from July 8.